Promote Your Show
Fundraising & Promotions Coordinator
Stay Connected with Your Listeners
How can you connect with people about your show?
Once you gain new listeners, you will want to do your best to retain them. It's important to stay connected with them so that they don't loose interest. The more listeners your show has, the better the chance of meeting your show's fundraising requirements.
The simplest way is to talk to people about your show. Tell your family, friends and colleagues that you have a show on Vancouver Co-op Radio!
Here are some other ways that you can stay connected with your listeners.
Ways to Stay Connected with Your Listeners:
The Basics of Social Media
What is Social Media?
Social media is online interaction and information sharing based on “many-to-many” communication. Social media tools are the various electronic websites, technologies, and applications that facilitate and enhance online interaction and information sharing.
Why use Social Media?
Social media is an effective way for your show to establish an online presence and connect with the community. Using free social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, your show can engage with your listeners and expand your network.
- Keep informed on what’s happening in your show’s field by following organizations or people
- Connect with important people in your field. Comment and share. People will notice and will be more open to interacting with you. It’s sometimes easier to contact someone on social media than it is using email or phone.
- Build a following by using your social media to share relevant information – Become a curator
- Announce events and contests
- Encourage listeners to become members
- Keep in touch with Co-op Radio – If the station can follow you on your social media, it will help promote your show and events.
Before your show:
- Let people know about what’s coming up on your show
- Ask for interview, personal stories, ideas…
During your show:
- Encourage people to tune in live
- Supplement information on the air: give links to additional info, share guests’ websites
- Announce the next segment
- Encourage your listeners to ask questions to your guests
After your show:
- Supplement information on the air;
- Encourage people to listen to the podcast
- Ask for feedback
Tips for effective Social Media use
- Establish protocols for the type of content you will post, how often to post, and who from your collective will do the posting. Frequently updated websites or blogs and posts with relevant content keeps your audience engaged online.
- Prepare to moderate what other will post on your website or blog. Inappropriate comments containing profanity or spam are common, so ensure they are deleted immediately.
Common Terms :
- Post: a new information or update you are posting on your social media
- Hashtag: when a “#” is placed before a keyword or phrase (no spaces), it allows users to search other posts containing the same keyword or phrase.
- Mention: any post or update that contains "@username" anywhere in its body. People mentioned will received a notification.
Tip: try to secure the same username for all your account. It makes it easier to find you.
Example: twitter.com/coopradio – facebook.com/coopradio – coopradio.org
The below video tutorials will help if you would like to set up Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram for your show.
Social Media Tutorials:
In this video, we go over the basics of Facebook. The video will outline the following:
- How to set up a Facebook Page for your show.
- How to add a post to your Facebook Page.
- How to schedule a Facebook Post.
- How to add an event to your Facebook Page.
Feel free to skip to the sections that you need to learn. You can also skip this section entirely if you don't plan to create a Facebook Page for your show or if you already have one and know how to use it.
In this video, we go over the basics of Twitter. The video will outline the following:
- How to add a post to your Twitter.
- How to retweet someone else's post.
- Using hashtags to increase engagement.
- How to schedule a Twitter Post.
Feel free to skip to the sections that you need to learn. You can also skip this section entirely if you don't plan to create a Twitter Profile for your show.
In this video, we go over the basics of Instagram. The video will outline the following:
- How to set up an Instagram Profile for your show.
- How to add a post to your Instagram Feed.
- Using hashtags to increase engagement.
- How to make an Instagram Story.
- How to go live on Instagram.
Feel free to skip to the sections that you need to learn. You can also skip this section entirely if you don't plan to create an Instagram Account for your show.
Create a Listener Engagement Plan for Your Show
Feel free to download the below templates to create a listener engagement plan for your show. If you are with a collective then you should work with the other members to create a listener engagement plan.